18 Ways to Take Care of the Minister's Wife
Written by Becky Badry
The ministers' wives in your church are special ladies in your women's ministry with a set of needs unique to ministers' families. Make special efforts to take care of a minister's wife and family by trying a few practical ministry ideas:
1. First and foremost, pray for her. Ask for her prayer requests, and check back for answered prayers. If she shares with you, confidentiality is a must.
2. Ask her to give her testimony at a women's event.
3. Recognize her during pastor appreciation month (October) as part of the pastoral family.
4. Take up a love offering just for her.
5. Get to know her. Ask her questions about her favorite people, places, and things.
6. Send her cards and notes of encouragement.
7. Remember birthdays and anniversaries with cards and or gifts.
8. Be sensitive to ministers' family time.
9. Be responsive in times of illness or needs.
10. Give her a prepaid phone card so she can call family and friends.
11. Offer free childcare so that she can have a break from the kids.
12. Give her a gift certificate to her favorite restaurant.
13. Go shopping with her, and buy her a new dress or outfit (Don’t just give her the money - she’s like every other woman and will probably spend it on the kids or something for the home!).
14. Invite her to have lunch with the girls.
15. Pay for her to have a manicure, pedicure, or a day at the spa.
16. Pay for the minister's family to have a night out (ballgame, movie, or dinner)
17. Pay expenses so that she may attend women's ministry or ministers' wives events.
18. Give her a gift of thank-you cards, and include a book of stamps.
Use these simple ideas to encourage the ministers' wives in your church and show your support from one church leader to another.
Becky Badry, a LifeWay Ministry Multiplier and the director of women's missions and ministries for the Colorado Baptist General Convention, has been a minister's wife for more than 25 years. She and her husband Jay have served in Oklahoma, Georgia, and Colorado, where Jay now pastors and Becky is ministry teams coordinator.
|RETURN TO Resources Master PAGE||RETURN TO Ministers Wife Master PAGE|